In 2015, the Health Council of UNASUR approved the Strategic Guidelines of ISAGS – a framework document that proposes 5 lines of action for the institute:
- Generation, production and dissemination of critical, innovative and transformative knowledge of health policies and systems for the reduction of social inequalities
- Support for the training of strategic personnel for the formulation of policies and management of health systems.
- Inter-sectorial articulation to generate communication spaces between other sectors and health in the member countries of UNASUR.
- Contribution to the democratization of access knowledge and information of health.
- Strengthening of the Health Diplomacy in UNASUR, promoting the construction of a South American vision and reinforcing critical reflection on global health, aligning positions and promoting a virtuous circle for health cooperation.
Elaboration of studies and research along with UNASUR Technical Groups and Structuring Networks, publication of books, creation of databases.
Conducting workshops, seminars, on-site and virtual courses, international internship program.
Mapping of the agenda of the Sectoral Councils of UNASUR.
Creation of several communication channels, such as the website, the pages on social networks, the magazine Health to the South, the weekly newsletter as well as hosting debates at the Institute's headquarters.
Support to countries and participation in regional and global Health forums, subscription and monitoring of agreements with similar institutions and other regional integration organizations.